Radiation Safety Training is offered to specific use-type applications such as nuclear medicine, fixed and portable nuclear gauges and university/government research applications. Training is also offered to emergency responders such as fire, police and EMS personnel. Innovative training techniques are designed to offer a true learning experience with emphasizes on practical exercises.
Topics covered in a radiation protection program includes the following:
Introduction to the uses of radioactive materials and their relative occupational risks;
- structure of the atom
- modes of radioactive decay
- radioactive decay equations & neutron activation
- units of radioactivity, radiation exposure and radiation dose rate
- radioactive exponential decay & decay calculations
- shielding properties & calculations
- specific activity
- gamma-ray constants
HEALTH AFFECTS OF IONIZING RADIATION
- acute vs. chronic exposure
- biological effects
- Somatic vs. Genetic Affects
PRINCIPLES OF RADIATION PROTECTION
- External Source Radiation Protection Procedures
- Internal Source Radiation Protection Procedures
- Workshop approach to the development of emergency procedures
RADIATION DETECTION INSTRUMENTATION
- Principles of radiation detection
- Types of radiation survey meters
- Maintenance of instrumentation
- Use of radiation survey devices
- In-depth review of the pertinent Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission Regulations & Nuclear Safety & Control Act
- Review of individual participant’s CNSC license conditions, most recent annual compliance report and CNSC license renewal application
- Development of a radiation safety program
- Demonstration of the principals of time, distance and shielding using a variety of radiation survey instruments.
- Discussion of the calibration of radiation survey instruments
- Discussion of radioactive sealed-source leak testing procedures and the development of radioactive sealed-source leak testing sampling certificates
- A final open-book examination on the last day of the course.
Course participants will receive a radiation safety manual, scientific calculator and a copy of the pertinent CNSC Regulations and the Nuclear Safety & Control Act.